Saturday, July 26, 2008

Life Without Cable Television

About a month ago I ended one of the longest relationships of my life. Cable tv and I had been in a loving relationship for twenty seven years, but it finally came time to end our love and move on. We have been through a lot together, from the days of Saturday morning cartoons to the advent of DVR (the greatest invention known to mankind). We decided to get rid of cable, actually satellite to be more correct, as an effort to save some cash every month. Any of the shows that we really like to watch can be watched online, so there is no point in paying for satellite and Internet.

When we were trying to decide if we actually wanted to go through with all of this I was all for it, at least on the outside. But deep inside I was freaking out. Could I actually live without tv? Would the loss of tv's mystic powers in my life cause me to shrivel up and die? How could I handle the ensuing boredom? I felt like a little kid being forced to give up his blankie, all the while acting like this was my idea.

Well I am still alive. The whole process was easier than I thought and it has been wonderful. It is so nice to not be a slave to shows that I felt I had to watch. I love having more time to play with the girls and just be together as a family that is not plastered to the television. I have actually spent time reading. Both scriptures and other random books just for fun. I know, its crazy. So to those of you still enslaved by the talking picture box, take my hand and I will lead you to freedom.

1 comments:

Cassie Lee said...

This is hilarious. I've got to get Cameron into blogs because we are both way sarcastic people and this blog is laced with satire.